As I got older and the symptoms continued, I knew something was seriously wrong with me. I decided to open up to a few friends who advised me to seek professional help.
Low testosterone is a widespread condition that affects men, although there isn’t much awareness around this subject. Many people do not realize it even exists and that they may have it themselves. I’m glad I got diagnosed because now I have relief, and I feel like my old self again.
I’ll share my experience before treatment and how TRT therapy helped improve my health. Learn more about my journey below!
How I Discovered I Had Low T?
When I turned 40, I saw a urologist who told me I might have low testosterone. I took a blood test which showed my testosterone level was at 127 ng/dl. I had the testosterone level of an average 10-year-old boy.
Before my medical diagnosis, I experienced a score of symptoms. Low T came with negative impacts on my mental and physical health.
Mental Health Symptoms of Low T
Some of the mental health symptoms I experienced were:
- Anxiety: I experienced a lot of anxiety and panic. It became hard for me to make decisions, no matter how small they were.
- Brain Fog: I began to show symptoms of short-term memory loss. I could not remember essential things about myself. Most of the time, I was confused and also found it hard to have conversations.
- Low Motivation: When I started my business, I was in heavy competition with other local stores. All of a sudden, I noticed I had lost my zeal for business. I couldn’t function mentally, and I had lost all my motivation.
- Depression: I was depressed, and I cried myself to sleep on many nights. I knew I was losing my mind, and I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. It was a shallow period in my life.
Physical Symptoms of Low T
Aside from the above mental health symptoms, I also felt physical symptoms including:
- Erectile Dysfunction: There were more than a few occasions when I couldn’t perform sexually. I stopped having erections, and when I did, they didn’t last long. My lack of healthy erections started to affect my relationship with my wife. As you probably guessed, my poor sexual performance also affected my confidence levels.
- Migraine: I had severe migraines, and I was always using painkillers. I was in constant pain.
- Weight gain: Suddenly, I started to gain a lot of weight. I exercised regularly and changed my diet, but I still gained more weight. Most of the weight gain appeared in my stomach and arms.
- Hair Loss: Losing my hair was a frustrating symptom of Low T. My hair started to fall out, and my confidence took a hit. At some point, I stopped growing facial hair and chest hair.
How TRT Helped Change My Life
My doctor recommended taking another test before I considered testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), and the test established a 130 ng/dl testosterone level. The test confirmed that I had abnormally low testosterone for my age.
At first, I was skeptical about using TRT. However, my urologist assured me testosterone replacement was safe with minimal side effects. He affirmed that testosterone replacement therapy would treat the symptoms and restore my energy.
How TRT Is Administered
TRT requires medical supervision. Its application can take many forms, including:
- Subcutaneous Pellets: This method involves surgery during which the doctor will insert the pellets under the skin.
- Patches: They are straightforward to apply and resemble nicotine patches. However, they can cause skin rashes.
- Gels: They are pretty tricky to use and require extra care.
- Buccal Patch: Although they are convenient, there is a slight possibility of gum disease.
- Injections: They are the most preferred method and don’t have any side effects.
Procedure and Results
I chose the injection method because it was easier to monitor my testosterone dosage. My doctor gave me the same dosage of shots every three weeks. After three months on TRT, I started to feel different.
My doctor increased my dosage after eight months, and then I started to see the changes. My energy levels increased, and I felt happier.
Other benefits I enjoyed include:
- Improved sex drive
- Weight loss
- Increased appetite
- Facial hair regrowth
- Improved sleeping habits
- A restored my competitive spirit
I’m 41 years old now, and I no longer have Low T. TRT helped improve the quality of my life, and I feel like a new person.
My relationship with my family and wife has also changed for the better. I hope my shared experience has convinced you to seek treatment. You, too, can enjoy a better life with TRT therapy.
*Note - this content is based on anecdotal information from patients